This trail was originally built in 1896 by the Purtymun Family who lived where the current Junipine resort is now. The family would use this trail to trade goods in Flagstaff. They would leave a wagon on up on the rim and when they need to haul goods to Flagstaff they would lead a horse up the trail and hitch it to the wagon. There was no convenient road from Sedona to Flagstaff until Schnelbly Hill Road. The trail starts at the south side of the garage across from Junipine Resort.